It’s a real shame when we hear from homeowners who are planning to remain in their metro Atlanta homes after retirement but are unaware of the many design options and bathroom remodeling upgrades that are far from clinical. If you’re considering a bathroom remodeling project to enjoy in the very near future, it’s a great time to also include plans for aging-friendly safety, mobility and access.
Here are ten modern bathroom upgrades and design options that you will enjoy today and in the future:
- Create as much counter space with varying heights to allow for easy access to items. For future safety, include a rounded and contrasting edge that defines a visual reference as needed for balance.
- Build in plenty of cabinet and storage space to reduce clutter now and allow for organizing increased medical and personal care items later on.
- Switch out your old toilet for a toilet/bidet combination that is very useful for daily hygiene no matter your age.
- Include custom mirrors with an option to tilt with a levered faucet creates an ideal sink space for someone with limited mobility.
- Replace traditional doors with pocket doors offer space-saving convenience especially in a smaller bathroom where you may need to maneuver a wheelchair at some point.
- Choose from a large selection of non-skid tile for your bathroom floor and shower that looks beautiful and reduces the risks of slips and falls.
- Enlarge your existing shower with a smooth transition and add a bench.
- Mount an adjustable or dual shower head for use standing or sitting.
- Select elegant lighting that is well placed and adjustable for mood enhancement and increased visibility when necessary.
- Install stabilizing grab-bars that have a finish and style that matches the rest of the decor. Many of your options now also have a grip enhanced texture.
These are only a few of many bathroom options or upgrades you can make now as you prepare to age in place. Anytime you are considering a remodeling contractor, be sure to check them out thoroughly. We have earned the trust of our customers in the Atlanta metro area for over 70 years. We will treat your home and personal safety with the utmost care and concern. Please contact us if you’re thinking about your options to age in place or if you have an aging loved one who is coming to live with you or visits frequently.